Experienced software developer capable of research,
planning, and leadership. Over 10 years of increasing
responsibility as technical lead, principal developer,
team leader and mentor.
Proven skills in software architecture, design and
implementation; applied research; oral and written
communications; leadership and mentoring. Past projects in
telecommunications, network programming, distributed
programming, object database systems, and systems
Achievements include high quality products delivered
on schedule, patent, peer-reviewed publications, and
- Formal methods, analysis and modeling; object oriented
- API and infrastructure design and
- Network and distributed programming, multithreading;
object databases, relational databases.
- Implementing and using code generators,
documentation tools, code analyzers, and other tools.
LISP, ksh/sh/bash, Tcl/Tk; revision control; make, ant;
- BMC SOFTWARE, INC.;
principal software engineer;
1998 -- 2003
Technical lead: negotiated requirements with stake
owners, in cooperation with manager; defined
functional and design specifications; defined
implementation strategy; planned development in
cooperation with manager; supervised technical work;
mentored and trained developers; implemented core
components and solved key implementation problems.
- Data Population Server: a metadata-driven
framework for emitting measurement and analysis data
to a reporting database; implemented in C++, XML,
Provides, for the first time in BEST/1
history, the capability of deploying new solutions
into the field between releases (in combination with
a metadata driven analytical engine).
- Enterprise Reporting: general purpose engine for
reporting on time-based data. Implemented on top of
Actuate, using Actuate Basic, Java, C++, and XML;
includes a report specification language, a
multithreaded Publishing Server, macro processing
language, and external SQL specification/generation
Provides a unified and simple method for
specifying report layouts and contents, publishing
to HTML and Actuate servers, and access to a wide
range of data sources (native RDBMS and ODBC, CSV
files, composite data sources, and user defined data
- Automation: established strategy for improving the
automation framework for the BEST/1 suite on
Unix, resulting in a significant reduction in
code size and complexity, and increased ease of
maintenance and enhancement.
- Network Management: C++ class libraries for
SNMP-based network management, and asynchronous
execution of algorithms (path discovery, network
Provides a powerful set of simple primitives
suitable for implementing asynchronous algorithms.
- I-CUBE, INC.;
1997 -- 1998
Member of Research and Development team.
Designed and developed an online testing tool,
designed standards and processes for software
development, conducted applied research on new
- ONTOS, INC.;
1991 -- 1993, 1994 -- 1997
Product development, research, software testing, and
- Trusted Ontos Prototype: NSA/USAF
funded research project to develop a
Multilevel Secure Object Database.
- Defined a formally consistent multilevel
secure object model, including aggregates and
- Designed and implemented the prototype,
while retaining compatibility with the commercial
- Peer-reviewed publications and patent.
- Automated test suites for ONTOS/DB: object
database, concurrency/serialization, transport layer.
- Critical customer support situations.
- BOSTON TECHNOLOGY, INC.;
Member Of Technical Staff;
1993 -- 1994
Technical lead for testing of object oriented
application generation framework.
- Designed, documented, and implemented a class
library and infrastructure for building test suites
against C++ APIs. The class library provides
a structured model of test programming, automated
summary and detail test reports, extensive interfaces for
- Primary code reviewer for most of the code to be
- NOVUS, INC.;
Programmer/Analyst, Project Manager;
1990 -- 1991
Product development, user relations, project
- Managed project schedule, user communications,
development, testing, and delivery for prime
- Implemented communication modules for different
airline terminal communications protocols (ALC,
- Implemented automated reservation applications using
- College of Computer Science, Northeastern University;
1988 -- 1990
Developed a compiler for a small algorithmic
language using denotational semantics to generate (1)
the Natural Semantics of programs, (2) a translation
to Higher Order Assembly Language
(HOAL), and (3)
transforming the HOAL result to MC680x0
Multilevel Data Model for the Trusted Ontos
Prototype; M. Schafer, T. Kanawati, P. Martel,
V. Lyons; IFIP WG 11.3, Rensselaersville, NY, Aug
- TOP: A practical Trusted ODBMS; M. Schafer,
T. Kanawati, P. Martel, V. Lyons;
18th National International Systems Security
Baltimore, MD, Oct 10-13, 1995.
- Patent 5,826,268
Secure multilevel object oriented database management
system; issued: Oct 20, 1998.
- MS Computer Science, Phi Kappa Phi, GPA: 3.92,
Northeastern University, Boston, Mass.
Concentrations in Theory of Computation, Theory of
- BS Civil Engineering, Summa Cum Laude,
Alpha Chi, 1986; University of Texas at San
Antonio, San Antonio, Texas.
- Phi Kappa Phi honor society, 1990.
- Alpha Chi honor society, 1986.
- Summa Cum Laude, 1986.
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities
and Colleges, academic year 1985-1986.
- Dean's List and/or Honor Roll, Univ. of Texas, San
Northeastern University, Lowell Institute (1997 to
present): C++ programming, data structures, software design.
- Boston University Metropolitan College, graduate
school of computer science (1996): graduate course on
Object Oriented Databases.
- Northeastern University, graduate school of computer
science (1994): C programming, Algorithms and Data
- HOAL: lambda
terms using continuation passing, designed to be
structurally similar to assembly language.
Go to www.uspto.gov;
click on Search, then
Patent Number Search. The link to the patent
document keeps changing, so I don't
have an unvarying reference to it.